I’m sure many P90X beginners will ask about this (well, I did): what to expect during P90X? Here’s an article written by Mike French which I thought was a fairly good illustration of the journey and I wanted to share with you.
Clarity, like the fine edge of a newly sharpened blade. You have a plan, a goal, a schedule; you have your nutrition down to a point. Your workouts are intense, you suffer daily. You are making sure to get at least 7 hours of sleep every night to ensure adequate recovery from your brutal regimen. You are even doing your own version of “Doubles” whether its jogging, swimming, or any other form of cardio three days a week to burn even more fat.
You have a clear mental picture of what you want to accomplish during your round of the X, you have your “mind right”. So what should you expect? I’ll give you some insight so there are no surprises.
P90X DAY 1 – 30
- This is the adjustment period. Your body is getting into the schedule and tempo of your workouts. It is adjusting to your new nutrition habits. Expect some differences, perhaps not the drastic visual differences you crave but your clothes will become baggier.
- Stay the course during this period. I have had a lot of people say to me “Something is not right, I’m not getting as lean as I should be.”
This is normal; during Phase 1 you are priming the body and stoking your metabolic fire.
**YOUR BODY DOES NOT SPOT REDUCE FAT! I REPEAT, YOUR BODY DOES NOT SPOT REDUCE FAT! **
Your body will take body fat off in “sheets”. What I mean is that it will reduce your overall body fat evenly. Where we hold the largest amount of body fat largely depends on genetics and gender. Women tend to hold their body fat in their butt, leg, hip region. Men generally hold their body fat in their waistlines. This is what to watch for in this Phase: loosening of your clothes, stay off of the scale and above all, remain patient and continue to work hard.
P90X DAYS 31 – 60
- This phase is where your body kicks into high gear. You are getting stronger and leaner. Expect dramatic results during this Phase as long as you remain disciplined and suffer daily.
- WHAT TO EXPECT: You will start to see that your outer extremities, (Forearms, calves, upper back, shoulders) generally where people hold the least amount of fat, will start to get leaner.
- Where you hold the most fat will improve but not to your impatient satisfaction. Why? Because as your body removes the fat in “sheets” naturally the leaner sections of your body will show definition the quickest.
- REMAIN PATIENT AND STAY THE COURSE!
P90X DAYS 61 – 90
- This is the Phase to let it all hang out. It’s an all out assault on body fat. Your metabolism is in high gear, you have noticed a drastic improvement in definition throughout your entire body and your most stubborn pockets of fat are carving away.
- This is the time to do some extra workout sessions. Walk after dinner, take an extra bike ride. Skip rope, box, and do something extra to burn more calories and more fat.
- At the end of this Phase you want to be standing tall on Day 90, proudly take your after pictures and be able to say, “I worked as hard as I possibly could have during the past 90 days, I BROUGHT IT!”
Hope you find this useful!
If you want to maximize your P90X result, or tired of not having an active coach to motivate and help you, make me your coach for free and I can show you how. Having a coach to motivate and support you is extremely important so don’t do it alone!
Like what you see?
Subscribe below and be notified of similar posts in the future.